4/11/2008

Asthma Attack!

It never occurred to me that I could develop asthma in adulthood. But that was what happened - I was coughing very badly for about a week before I decided to seek treatment from the general practitioner. I was having difficulty breathing and would wake up in the middle of the night breathless. I knew something was wrong.

The GP told me that I was wheezing and prescribed some antibiotics. I did not recover after the first round of treatment. This led to the GP prescribing second level of antibiotics and sabutamol to free up the airways. But exactly is Asthma? According to the American Lung Association website, "Asthma is a reversible obstructive lung disease, caused by increased reaction of the airways to various stimuli. It is a chronic inflammatory condition with acute exacerbation. Asthma can be a life-threatening disease if not properly managed."

At least for now, I seem to be recovering but it is a scary thought - the breathlessness and all. My little girl who is also asthmatic recently told me that asthma hampered her ability to do sports. She feels weak and breathless whenever she runs long distance. With all these problems in mind, I thought the best thing to do is to manage the asthma properly.

One of the first steps to manage asthma is to recognise the triggers. Perhaps knowing the triggers also would also help you to avoid certain necessary ingredients when you plan your family meals. Upon identifying the triggers, it would be best to anticipate and prevent further occurrences. This should be followed up with taking the medications as prescribed. Your doctor may further have some useful tips on how to better control you asthma.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment - drop by again sometime..

Amazon Music