12/10/2008

The Outliers

Malcolm Gladwell had me and my colleagues talking about his ideas again. I got this book entitled 'Outliers' as a farewell gift from my company. So I started reading the day after I received it.

Mr Gladwell set out asking why some people really made it big and really living it while others just could not reach their potential. He theorised that the success of these people are not exactly derived from themselves, thus asserting that the self made man may not have made himself after all- they owe their success to their surroundings and the opportunities that the surroundings provide!

By examining the lives of the rich and famous like Bill Gates and Mozart, he builds a convincing case for how successful people rise on a tide of advantages, "some deserved, some not, some earned, some just plain lucky." In other words, he is saying that successful people became successful because of the opportunities are presented to them ... the kind of opportunties that 'ordinary people'may only dreamed of getting.

This prompted me to a tipping point as a parent - that of giving and providing opportunities for my children in ways that I could afford if that means giving them the edge and the potential to succeed later in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment - drop by again sometime..

Amazon Music